- 2018-12-12 to 2018-12-16 On 12-16 December, the Political Director Asta Skaisgirytė is participating in meetings of the initiative of the Enhanced Partnership in Northern Europe (e-PINE) in Washington, D.C.
- 2018-12-13 On 13 December at 1.00 p.m., the Minister Linas Linkevičius is taking part in the Government meeting at the Seimas.
- 2018-12-13 On 13 December at 3.15 p.m., the Minister Linas Linkevičius is taking part in the annual conference of the Eastern Europe Studies Centre
- 2018-12-13 On 13 December, the Vice-Minister Darius Skusevičius is participating in political consultations and bilateral meetings in Uzbekistan
- 2018-12-13 On 13 December, the Vice-Minister Albinas Zananvičius, as part of a delegation led by the President of Lithuania, is attending the meeting of the European Council
Linas Linkevičius, “Our main goal is synchronisation of our electric systems with those of continental Europe”
In his introductory remarks addressing the annual Energy Forum in Vilnius on 7 November, Minister of Foreign Affairs, Linas Linkevičius, underlined that, “Lithuania aspires to full-fledged integration into the internal energy market of the EU and synchronisation of the electric systems of the Baltic States with the networks of continental Europe remains a fundamental strategic step to be taken”.
The Minister noted that geopolitical challenges spurred the EU to take the initiative in strengthening energy security throughout the EU by setting ambitious objectives and financial instruments for the Energy Union.
The Minister also stressed that after the Klaipėda NLG terminal had been constructed, the monopoly of Gazprom was eliminated, however gas continued to be used for geopolitical purposes, which was proved by the NordStream 2 project. Another geopolitical endeavour was unsafe development of the Astravyets Nuclear Power Plant project therefore the threats it posed should be duly assessed.